How do you change the entire way people view a problem?
The answer. One story at a time.
Every once in awhile, a handful of times a year, I’m lucky enough to get to talk to someone on my original ‘wish list’ for the podcast. Today is one of those lucky days.
In the latest episode of Inside Influence I speak with Jessica Jackley, Co-Founder of KIVA, the worlds first person-to-person micro-lending platform. Since 2005 KIVA has facilitated over $1 billion dollars in micro-loans across the world.
KIVA essentially enables people like you and me to lend small amounts of money to low-income entrepreneurs. The intention being to help them create or grow a sustainable business that can support them, their families and their community for life.
The average loan contribution is $100. The repayment rate? 98.5%.
However this isn’t a conversation about money. It’s not even about the role of micro-finance or micro-donations to completely reimagine how we approach subjects like poverty and charity.
It’s a conversation about the power of storytelling.
In Jessica’s words: “The stories we tell each other, matter very much. The way that we participate in each other’s stories – matters even more.”
In today’s conversation we dive into:
- The difference between trying to solve any problem from a place of hope rather than a place of hopelessness.
- The moment that led to her to quit her job, move to Africa in order to interview micro entrepreneurs that had each received $100 to build or grow a business.
- What she learned about building KIVA into a global $1 billion movement from scratch – with no business experience.
- The energy and momentum that comes from speaking from present tense. This one is subtle but huge. Think about the powerful difference between: ‘This is what we are doing.’ vs. ‘This is what we are hoping to do.’.
- Plus, why storytelling has the power to define (and then redefine) how we view and participate in each other’s stories in a way that everyone wins.
- If you’re trying to shift the needle on any issue – either at work, at home or within the world at large – then trust me this episode is for you.
Subscribe to and Review the Inside Influence Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Inside Influence Podcast! If the information in my conversations have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave an honest review.
Also if you have some big visions for 2022 and are looking for a kick start. I will be running my LAST EVER Live Rapid Authority Masterclass in late January. It will be a virtual event, so you can tune in from anywhere in the world, time zones allowing. Simply head to my website www.juliemasters.com and register your details.
Lastly, don’t forget to download my new ebook The Influencer Code